Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Safe after Sandy

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful at how we were spared. It does feel a little bit anticlimactic for the storm to be essentially over already, given how hyped it was and how little damage it did. I went out running today and toured the neighborhood, and I only saw one tree down--ours!

Yep, a tree in our backyard fell over some time last night:
As you can see, we got lucky. Had it fallen left, the power lines would have been toast, and that line doesn't power very many households, so it would have been a long long time until we got power back. If it had fallen right, it would have destroyed the fence and landed on a highway.
 Our fence was not undamaged, but this will be easy to fix. Just a few nails and a hammer.

We were truly blessed. Not only was Sandy not nearly as bad as the meteorologists predicted, a lot of our dead stuff had already been blown down in the summer's derecho, and the weakest power lines had already been identified and fixed. What the news is telling us about those in other areas of the East Coast is tragic. My heart goes out to them.

No comments:

Blogs I read