Well, after much procrastinating and putting-off, I am nearly done with Teresa's J2908 jeans! I decided that it was simply not worth the effort to try and fix the disastrous waistband that the pattern came with. (For those who are not familiar with this pattern, it calls for a waistband made out of a rectangle of fabric. I don't think I know any member of the female sex over the age of 12 who can wear a one-inch wide straight waistband and not have it gap.) I decided to draft a curved waistband. It worked fairly well:
It's slightly uneven, and I'm not quite sure why, but I don't suppose it will really matter. Teresa tends to go for function over form, and she never tucks her shirts in, so not only does she not care, but no one will ever see anyway. On the last pair of pants I made with this pattern, the zipper showed whenever you moved, so I overlapped the edges of the fly a good bit more than the pattern called for. I didn't measure, I just eyeballed it. The zipper is hidden now, which I like--I think an exposed zipper on pants always looks like they're pulling and too tight.
I will admit that although I'm nor a huge fan of this pattern because of the aforementioned waistband issues, I do like the pockets very much. Teresa's pockets are lined with cute cotton, which I will post a picture of when I post a picture of them after they've been hemmed. I want to wash and dry them again before I hem them, though, just in case!
I also have been working on the coat I am making for Teresa out of this fabric. I made a muslin yesterday, and it fits fairly well, but I will have to do some significant alterations on the lower back because of her scoliosis. This was to be expected, though, and the coat does fit much better than I had feared. I will post before and after pictures of the muslin soon, although the fit is hard to see with the print I chose.
WAHOO!!!!! and then some other things
1 day ago