Sunday, September 25, 2011

Costume shop sewing

So, I have been pretty busy lately, and I haven't been posting much. Sorry about that! I've been sewing both in and out of the costume shop. The show that we're preparing for now is Tartuffe by Moliere. Most of the costumes are bought or rented, which means we're doing a lot of alterations, but not a lot of "building," or making a costume from scratch.

I spent many hours tagging rented or borrowed costumes. This involved sewing thread labels onto the tags or into the back of the neck, like so:

Unsurprisingly, this got old fast, but whatever. It's pretty important--every place we rented costumes from got a unique thread color associated with it, and now it's easy to tell them apart.

I don't have a picture of them, but I also made a decent amount of progress on a muslin of a pair of pants. I gathered the waistband and attached it. I also worked on a maid's cap, which I do have a picture of. I'll upload that later.

I love this job!

No comments: